[O] Tikz-->LaTeX/HTML

From: Steve Hafner
Subject: [O] Tikz-->LaTeX/HTML
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 16:27:06 -0600

I'm trying to get a LaTeX scr block with Tikz code either to go native
into LaTeX or to be converted into a PNG file and included in HTML, as
described in
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-LaTeX.html.
That document refers to a thread on this list in which two example
were given:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-02/msg01297.html
and http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-02/msg01302.html.
Both examples behave in a similar way for me on Org-7.8.06, but not in
the way I expected. If I export to PDF then I just get
"[[file:test.png]]" in the PDF where I expected the image to be
visible, and if I export to HTML then nothing is visible in the HTML
file. Either way I export, the file test.png is indeed generated.

So I wonder if these examples are valid with respect to 7.8.06 or
maybe my expectations are off. I would not think that the PNG file
should be generated for the PDF export, but would expect the image to
be visible when viewing either document. Reading the manual, it seems
that maybe the behavior has changed in the last year with respect to
these examples.

So I've tried to figure it out with the manual. If I don't worry about
the HTML export, I'm able to set up the document so that the Tikz code
is included into LaTeX in the correct way; not too difficult.  On the
other hand, if I don't worry about the LaTeX export, I can get the PNG
file to generate but can't get it automatically included into the
HTML. If I could get this second part figured out, then the plan would
be to have an elisp conditional testing on "backend" (if this is still
a valid symbol to test on) that would determine whether on not to
include :file etc. in the header for the src block. Any thoughts?

--Steve