Re: [O] orgmode as a service

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] orgmode as a service
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:17:11 -0400

Brian Dunbar <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm orgmode newbie.  Before I reinvent a wheel, going to ask if this has
> already
> been done: 'orgmode as a service'.
>
> Or perhaps it doesn't need to be done and I'm tilting at yet another windmill.
>
> Comments welcome.
>

> Assume a workgroup of people - they use emacs / orgmode.  Mostly Linux and OS
> X,
> but there might be a weirdo or two still using Solaris.
>
> They get TODOs from people who do -not- use emacs: managers, project managers,
> Windows users, end users ... like that.
>
> The input arrives (mostly) via email.  'Attend Meeting Foo at 08:00 p.m.' 'Fix
> Bug umptyfratz this week'.
>
> orgmode user manually inputs this data into emacs.
>

> I had a few free minutes and thought 'there must be a better way': 20 minutes
> day to organize tasks * Y people on a team = a lot of wasted hours.
>

> Is there a programatic method already coded up to take bits delivered to a
> server, bang out the appropriate .org file and deliver it to the orgmode user?
>
> Assume
>
> data > address@hidden
>
> orgmodeservice would be a daemon (perl, lisp, whatever) that mangles the data.
>
> # data
> user: address@hidden
> what: Task - record new hit single
> when: June 01, 2012
>
> becomes
> adele.org > adele's desktop
>
> #adele.org
> * TODO Record new hit single <2012-06-01 Fri>
>

> Am I Don Quixote slaying phantom dragons?
>

> Brian Dunbar
> address@hidden

If you'd rather set this up as a web service (instead e.g., an email
front-end as mentioned in another reply) one intermediate step would be
to write a tool for conversion between json (or some other web-friendly
data type) and the Org-mode list representation defined in
org-element.el in the contrib directory.

Such a task should be fairly straightforward (in fact there may already
be elisp<->json conversion tools written), and once done would allow for
easy generation of Org-mode files from structured data.

To me this does seem like it could be useful.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/