Re: [O] org-mime-htmlize: visual representation (thunderbird)

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] org-mime-htmlize: visual representation (thunderbird)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:13:50 -0400

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
>
> Now that the bug in org-mime-htmlize is fixed, I would like
> to comment on the visual representation. Most likely this
> has to do with the mml package.
>
> When I write the following message
> Integral
>

> $$\int fdx=0$$
> And
>

> \begin{equation}
> \sum_{\alpha}
> \end{equation}
>
> and apply org-preview-latex-fragment and then
> org-mime-htmlize and send this message to gmail.
> The 'gmail-reader' displays them fine.
>
> However thunderbird does not and I apply the resulting eml
> file below (I presume a screenshot is not appropriated)

This sounds like a thunderbird bug -- not properly displaying multi-part
messages.

> Now tunderbird itself has an extension (latex-it) which does
> something similar to org-mime-htmlize, it sends latex math
> as png. However there are "better* displayed, I attach the
> relevant eml file below.

The difference between org-mime-htmlize and latex-it is that the former
converts each formulas to its own png image, while the later converts
the entire message to one large pdf file which is then attached as a
single image.

> Could org-mime-htmlize use the structure of latex-it?

The ability to convert the entire message to one monolithic image
(through latex and pdf) could certainly be added as an export option
(patches welcome), but I would not want this behavior to be the default,
as sending messages as large images is not (to my mind at least) a
desirable option.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte