Re: [O] Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [O] Compose emails in ogr, but send them via thunderbird?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 11:05:45 +0900

Hi Rainer,

Hmm interstingly I working on exact the same task.... I want to get
rid of Thunderbird because its troubling me to much, but I can't find
an easy drop-in replacement.
Recently, I got notmuch running after giving up on gnus for the third
or fourth time, because I never found enough time to come into it.
Unfortunately, I find the notmuch thread buffers rather confusing and
would be very happy if a little org-mode magic would move into it.

Nevertheless notmuch allows you to write emails too. What you have to
do is to set-up the smtp server to sent your mails. That can be either
a pointer to an existing smtp server (like gmail) or a own server. A
own server might be nice but requires some fiddling and hence I
decided to use msmtp [1].
It requires only a very small config file with the credentials and
settings for each smtp (email) account. Mostly what you are used to
type into thunderbird too.
In my emacs init files I added

/--------------------------------init_notmuch.el---------------------------------------/
;;///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
;; notmuch and smtp settings
;;//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

(require 'notmuch)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
;; we substitute sendmail with msmtp
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
;;need to tell msmtp which account we're using
(setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmail"))
;; integrate with org-mode
(require 'org-notmuch)
(require 'notmuch-address)
(setq notmuch-address-command "/home/torsten/mails/get_address.sh")
(notmuch-address-message-insinuate)
/--------------------------------init-notmuch.el---------------------------------------------------/

get_address.sh is a little shell script which enables to access the
googlemail contact list and you will get auto completion.

/----------------------get_address.sh-------------------------/
#!/bin/sh
goobook query "$*" | sed 's/\(.*\)\t\(.*\)\t.*/\2 \<\1\>/' | sed '/^$/d'
/---------------------get_address.sh------------------------/

details about this can be found on the notmuch website.

Being in a notmuch buffer pressing 'm' opens a new buffer with a empty
template in Message mode
Fill it and C-c C-C will send the mail out.
It should appear in notmuch later and if you did your
filtering/tagging right you can file it under sent.
>From there it should be pretty easy to link to an org-mode file.

Again I would like to see notmuch using more org-mode magic to get a
more clean representation of mails and esp. threads.
Some more hooks like automatic linking to notmuch emails in org-mode
buffers and creating of emails directly from org-mode buffers would be
nice and I guess its rather easy to implement. (E.g., a single command
to create a new mail and generating a org-mode link to that email in
notmuch, at the current position in a org-mode buffer would be very
nice).

Hope that helps

[1] http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/