Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:48:16 +0200

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Young <address@hidden> writes:

> My name is Andrew Young, and I would like to participate in an Org-Mode
> project for GSoC 2012.  My application for the project 'Git merge tool for
> Org files' can be found
> here<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/pwyl/1#>.

Great!

>  I would appreciate as much feedback and criticism as possible.

First of all, make sure someone can co-mentor this project.  I'm willing
to mentor this (as the current maintainer it makes sense, especially for
people judging the project from the outside), but having Carsten as a
co-mentor would be a great win.  Make sure Carsten (cc'ed) is okay.

Carsten, being a co-mentor involves mainly three things:

1. registering on google-melange.com

2. from there, requesting to be a mentor for the GNU project

3. during the project, help the student and have IRC/phone meetings,
   at least when I'm not here (I expect to be off for 2-3 weeks this
   summer, I will tell when ASAP)

> I used the generic GNU Project student application template, which can be
> found here <http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/gnu>.

1. First things thing: you should rewrite the "summary" section to
   remove the "I believe" and other informal writing from Carsten's
   prose.  Make it yours, make it a real summary.

2. Refer to org-element.el when you mention the Data representation.
   org-element.el will be key in representing data and diffs between
   data (at any level.)

3. Add a documentation section, explaining what doc you will write and
   how you you will write/host it (worg is fine.)

You can look at org-element.el for the data representation.

> 2.  I would like to post my application on the community site Worg.  If
> this is appropriate, what is the proper channel to request GIT access?

Send me your public key.

> If this mailing list is not the appropriate place to discuss my
> application, please let me know and then feel free to email me directly.  I
> will also be spending as much time as possible on freenode #org-mode as
> Pwyl.

This mailing list *is* the appropriate place, no worry.

Thanks again for your proposal, this would be a great plus for Org!

Best,

--
 Bastien