Re: [O] layout org-babel menu WAS: About org-babel menu

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] layout org-babel menu WAS: About org-babel menu
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 08:44:50 -0400

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> On 28/03/12 01:07, Bastien wrote:
>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> So I would see it as a useful way of promoting babel (and therefore
>>> org-mode) and also as a
>>> nice reminder of less frequently (but nevertheless usefull) functionality.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> Is anyone volunteering for listing the items in such a menu for Babel?
>>
>> If so, I'm willing to implement this.
> OK - let me start this.
>
> Org
> |
> + Babel
>   + edit
>   |  |
>   |  + open surce buffer (that C-c ')
>   |  + insert source block skeleton
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>   + tangle
>   |  |
>   |  + tangle buffer
>   |  + inverse tangle
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>   + evaluate
>   |  |
>   |  + evaluate code block
>   |  + evaluate subtree
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>   + help
>   |  |
>   |  + Link to info help on header arguments
>   |  + Link to info help on how to enable languages
>   |  + URL to language specific help on worg
>   |  + ...
>   |  + ...
>

> So - At the moment this is a skeleton of the babel menu - Comments? forgotten
> commands (I assume
> many?

Hi Rainer,

Thanks for starting this.  It looks like a great skeleton.  Here are a
couple of comments which I hope are helpful.

To find more publicly available Babel function you can do C-c C-v h in
an Org-mode buffer or run the org-babel-describe-bindings command

There are two high level sub-menus which I may suggest be added to the
above, namely "languages" and "library of babel", which could list
information on available languages and list library of babel functions
respectively.

I'm not sure how menus are normally used, specifically how Emacs breaks
functionality between the menu, configuration and help sub-systems.  It
is possible that because of such boundaries both the "help" and
"languages" submenus may not be appropriate.

Two other pieces of menu content which occur to me are a list of the
code blocks available in the current buffer including some information
on each block (e.g., name, arguments,), and a way to show the user what
the current file wide header arguments are -- note: there already exists
a function for displaying this information on the code block level
`org-babel-view-source-block-info' which may be sufficient.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/