Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application

From: Andrew Young
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code 2012 Student Application
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:20:18 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>

> Reading this proposal and having a bit background in writing
> proposals, I have the following suggestion:
>
> * I'm not sure everyone (at least the one who review this) know what
> org-mode is. There should be a very small summary about org-mode and
> the key-benefit being plain text (which is why you can start this
> project after all).

This raises the point that I have no idea at all who will be reviewing
my proposal. I originally wrote the proposal targeting Org-Mode devs
as the audience.  This has provided some important insight to my
application. Thank you!

> * In the way the proposal is written, you address org-mode users which
> uses git (later you mention other CVS too). This actually makes, or at
> least sound like, the proposal being only useful for a (small)
> intersection of users namely org-mode AND (in the sense of an logic
> AND) git-user.
> I would find it more useful to describe this work as being an
> extension for org-mode users;
> ** They can start to collaborate on a org-mode files, including
> collaboration with users of possible other software tools (e.g.
> mobileorg apps).
> ** Org-mode user can use a CVS system which is not only of interest
> for collaboration but for keeping a chronological order of changes in
> e.g. a project file.
> ** It makes org-mode a possible tool for software developers which can
> now use org-files e.g. for documentation and notes beside there source
> code in the same git repository.
>
> All this points would show that the proposal is going to extend
> org-mode instead of being "limited" useful for only a very particular
> user-base. Finally, I guess it would be good to mention that this
> project (and org-mode in general) is not limited to a OS but attracts
> users of MS Windows, Mac OS and Linux. Simply to demonstrate that the
> user-base can be expected to be rather large.
> (Not sure if the GNU people like this ;) )
>
> Torsten

These are all great suggestions and points.  This triggered a complete
rewrite of the benefits section.  Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Andrew Young