Re: [O] Killed Org files referred from the agenda?

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] Killed Org files referred from the agenda?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:56:24 -0400

address@hidden (François Pinard) writes:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> François Pinard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>> Now that many Org files are part of my agenda list, it became more
>>> likely that I inadvertently kill one of them.  Then, commands like
>>> "t" or "RET" in the agenda fail.  I have to first revisit the Org
>>> file by some other mean first, for such commands to succeed.  Could
>>> Org do the revisiting as needed, instead of raising an error?
>>>

>> Just do "g" in the agenda and retry the "t".
>
> Thanks for hint, Nick, I'll surely use it.
>
> Yet, I do not think it is appropriate for Org to raise an Emacs Lisp
> error.  It really looks like a bug.
>
> François

Rebuilding the agenda buffer (with 'g') is potentially expensive -- I
don't want a multi-second delay in my block view whenever Emacs thinks
that is appropriate.

I'd rather have full manual control over when things are rebuilt.  I
think your error is generated because your agenda is out of date so the
markers on the agenda view are old and possibly pointing at the wrong
stuff.  Keeping this up to date automagically will make org-mode much
slower and less usable (for me)

So here's one vote against.

Regards,
Bernt