Re: [O] bug with org-mode-hook and text-scale-set

From: Matt Lundin
Subject: Re: [O] bug with org-mode-hook and text-scale-set
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:28:07 -0500

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Du Yanning <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> text-mode-hook and c-mode-hook do NOT have this bug.
>>> and the org-mode-hook of orgmode shipped within emacs 23.3 does NOT
>>> have this bug.
>>
>> This is now fixed, thanks.
>>
>> The problem was that Org relied on `face-remapping-alist' to
>> remap the 'default face to the 'org-default face.  Relying on
>> this mechanism produces the error you reported, because the
>> text-scale-set doesn't interact well with remapped faces.
>>
>> I'm now relying on `buffer-face-mode' which seems to be a
>> cleaner approach.
>
> On my machine, this change causes a noticeable lag when typing in
> org-mode buffers. The cursor hesitates for a bit and then lurches
> forward. If I turn off buffer-face-mode the lag disappears. I'm still
> figuring out how to diagnose the problem.

Another question: is it customary for major modes to invoke
buffer-face-mode? I was a bit confused when I first saw "BufFace" in the
mode-line, as I had not explicitly invoked the minor mode. My
understanding was that this was primarily intended as a minor mode for
user-level modifications, not for major modes to rely on (but I may very
well be mistaken).

Best,
Matt