Re: [O] Using '?' as a todo keyword?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Using '?' as a todo keyword?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:47:41 -0400

Filippo A. Salustri <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to use "?" as a todo keyword, but org-todo-keywords
> doesn't seem to recognize something like "?(?)"  Is punctuation
> verboten in org-todo-keywords? Or do I have to escape the '?' in some
> way?  Sorry; I checked the doc and couldn't find anything.

> I'm running org v 7.5.

Not sure if things have changed in this area since 7.5, but with latest
I can customize org-todo-keywords and insert "?(?)" as a TODO keyword
with no problems (in *very* light testing). However, IMO it's a bad idea
to use punctuation chars as TODO keywords: if you look at the doc
string, there are plenty of them that have special meaning - personally,
I don't want to bother figuring out which ones are allowed and which
ones are not - so they are all out of bounds AFAIAC. It might be OK to
have something like "QUESTION(?)" or even "WTH?(?)" as TODO states and
that's probably better than a single punctuation chars.

Personally, I've never understood the impetus behind such requests: what
does "?(?)" buy you that "QUESTION(?)" does not?  And I don't mean this
as a rhetorical question: I would like to get an idea of what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Nick