Re: [O] bug#11249: 24.1.50; Overlay with face property causes calendar b

From: Toby Cubitt
Subject: Re: [O] bug#11249: 24.1.50; Overlay with face property causes calendar buffer to scroll
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:41:31 +0200

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 05:50:50AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 23:04:16 +0200
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> > From: Toby Cubitt <address@hidden>
> >
> > The obvious solution is for org-mode to use a face that doesn't enlarge
> > the characters.
>
> Another solution would be to enlarge the calendar window by one line.

I've attached a patch that does exactly this. As expected, it fixes the
bug for me.

As discussed previously, the alternative solution would be to change the
default face used to highlight the current date to something that doesn't
set the :bold attribute (which would probably mean introducing a separate
face for this, instead of reusing org-warning). But expanding the
calendar window is a more general solution, as it fixes the problem for
(almost) any face.

Arguably, it might be worth defining a separate face for highlighting the
date in the calendar during org-read-date, even if this patch is applied,
so that it can be customized separately from the face for impending todo
deadlines etc. If there's interest in adding a new
calendar-date-highlight face, I can post a separate patch for that.

For the record, one can already change the face used to highlight the
date in the calendar from within .emacs, via

  (overlay-put org-date-ovl 'face 'new-face)

But that's much less discoverable than defining a separate face for this.

Toby
--
Dr T. S. Cubitt
Mathematics and Quantum Information group

email: address@hidden
web:   www.dr-qubit.org