Re: [O] Usage of disqus instead of mailinglist considered harmful

From: Kyle Sexton
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:21:03 -0500

Brian van den Broek <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8 Apr 2012 13:44, "Karl Voit"
>
> <snip>
>
>> Oh I'd like to warn here: disqus is a private commercial company
>> that wants to make money.
>>
>> Their strategy can (and will) change from one day to the other.
>
> An enthusiastic +1 from this largely lurking list member.

Some other options could be:

- Roll our own commenting system (a quick github search found
  https://github.com/phusion/juvia)
- Setup automatic backups of comments using the disqus API,
  http://docs.disqus.com/developers/export/

I can search around and setup a commenting engine server and try to
integrate it into worg like disqus, but unless it's an official server
it's not much better.  If random server someone sets up suddenly
disappears it's the same as disqus changing their business model.  I
guess maybe a server with automatic comment exporting to git or
something?  Or org-maintainer admin access to server?  Both?

--
Kyle Sexton