[O] Question about adding to inherited properties

From: Bill Wishon
Subject: [O] Question about adding to inherited properties
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:05:13 -0700

Hi Org-mode Community,

I can't get the example in section 7.1 of the org-mode manual to work as I expect.  Perhaps someone can help me see what I'm doing wrong.

I tried creating this buffer:

* CD collection
** Classic
 :PROPERTIES:
 :GENRES: Classic
 :END:
*** Goldberg Variations
 :PROPERTIES:
 :Title:    Goldberg Variations
 :Composer: J.S. Bach
 :Artist:   Glen Gould
 :Publisher: Deutsche Grammophon
 :NDisks:   1
 :GENRES+:   Baroque
 :END:

Then I set the org-use-property-inheritance variable to include GENRES.

Then I wrote the following function

(defun bill-test (property)
  "print all inheirited properties"
  (interactive "MProperty: ")
  (message (concat property " = " (org-entry-get (point) property t))))

Which prints "GENRES = Baroque" when I run it with the point on Goldberg Variations, based on the manual I expected this to print "GENRES = Classic Baroque”.

While I think they should all do the same thing, I also tried the following ways of calling org-entry-get just in case all with the same result.
(org-entry-get (point) property 'selective)
(org-entry-get nil property t)
(org-entry-get nil property 'selective)

I'm using org-version 7.8.09 on Windows with emacs "GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO".

Any pointers about what I'm doing wrong would be great.

Thanks,
~>Bill