Re: [O] Makefile restructuring

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] Makefile restructuring
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 06:49:45 -0700

Hi Achim,

On 2012-04-21, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Samuel Wales writes:
>> I cannot report in a full way now, but Org does not make at all for me
>> now.  I do make cleanall and then make normally.
>
> I can't parse that sentence...

Org broke.  Due to make.  Somehow.

> Since all other methods of producing the documentation are not reliable,
> texi2pdf is the default now and has actually been for a while,
> independently of my other changes.  You can override it if you don't
> have it, see below.  If you don't care about getting all of the
> documentation, just do a "make compile" or "make compile info", this
> would then not need texi2pdf at all.

I do not need pdf.  I do need info.

Are you saying I need to stop doing this:

  make cleanall;make

And start doing this instead:

  make compile info

?

Will that make org-install and also info?

If so, what happens when makefiles change again and I will start
missing something because I don't have it on the make line?  Plain
make worked before and would make anything new that people would add
to the makefile.

Is there a way to just get it to work the way it did before?

> Any adaptations to your local environment should be made in local.mk —
> that way it is ensured that changes in the defaults do not overwrite
> your local configuration.

I have no idea of how to do this whatsoever.

Hints appreciated.  All I want is for Org to work as it did before.

Thanks.