Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participat

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participation!
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 21:00:31 +0200

Rasmus writes:
>> Emacs-Orgmode Git merge tool for Org Files (Andrew Young)
>
> Interesting.  How would such a driver differentiate between normal git?

You can add any number of merge drivers to your git config.  A merge
driver is supposed to know about the expected content of the file types
it gets registered for and be indeed more clever about merging than the
standard merge algorithms.  In particular it needs to know some syntax
rules and the semantics of the elements described by that syntax.

Let's say you want a merge driver for Changelogs: the standard merge
will always produce merge conflicts if two changes are made
independently as both changes start at the same point in the ancestor.
A merge driver for these knows that the entries in a changelog (the
syntax says how these should look) are independent of each other and
should be sorted by date (that's the semantics).  So as long as both
changes only add to the Changelog, no merge conflict occurs: the two
hunks will get applied in the correct succession.

HTH,
Achim.