Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent

From: Martyn Jago
Subject: Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:45:24 +0100

Hi Achim

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Fritz Kunze writes:
>>      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
>> returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>
>>           (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this
>> report, I built the compiled version of this upgrade by using
>>
>>             M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
>> byte-recompile-directory)
>
> You still don't have org-install.el

I think this tone of reply is very harsh, and I feel for the OP. Has it
suddenly become a requirement to know emacs-lisp, and have a reasonable
understanding of `autoload' to even install?

A very formal announcement and good documentation would perhaps have been a
good idea. Don't get me wrong - I like the new makefile, but there *is*
now magic that there never was, without question.

I think it would be better to refer to some good documentation rather
than short terse admonishment over something that `used to work'.

My 2c.

Best, Martyn