Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:47:54 +0200

Martyn Jago writes:
> I think this tone of reply is very harsh, and I feel for the OP.

I certainly did not mean to offend anyone.

> Has it suddenly become a requirement to know emacs-lisp, and have a
> reasonable understanding of `autoload' to even install?

No, but

> A very formal announcement and good documentation would perhaps have been a
> good idea. Don't get me wrong - I like the new makefile, but there *is*
> now magic that there never was, without question.

An announcement will surely be made by Bastien when the next release is
made and the documentation should be ready by then.

This problem has nothing to do with the new Makefile, it didn't even
enter the picture (remember this change isn't on 7.8.09 and the OP
didn't use make at all).  The reason that the setup the OP described
worked before is that the versions used by his Emacs (likely 6.33x) and
the new Org he installed (6.36) were sufficiently similar.

> I think it would be better to refer to some good documentation rather
> than short terse admonishment over something that `used to work'.

The documentation on orgmode.org does describe what to do when switching
from Emacs' org version to a newer one.  If you follow those
instructions step-by-step, everything will work.

http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

Regards,
Achim.