Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent

From: fkunze
Subject: Re: [O] error on opening org-file with #+startup: indent
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:53:52 +0000 (UTC)

Achim Gratz <Stromeko <at> nexgo.de> writes:

> Fritz Kunze writes:
> >      I ran M-x load-library org followed by M-x org-version - which
> > returned 7.8.09.
>
> You didn't generate and (require 'org-install).
>
> >           (Incidentally, and for the sake of completeness in this
> > report, I built the compiled version of this upgrade by using
> >
> >             M-x cd ~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/ followed by C-u 0 M-x
> > byte-recompile-directory)
>
> You still don't have org-install.el
>
> >      I renamed the org-6.36 folder. I started up emacs and the error
> > still appeared.
>
> You do not have org-install.el and you are picking up outdated autoload
> definitions from your emacs installation.
>
> > As an experiment, I modified the load-path to consist only of one
> > statement:
> >      (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/")
> >      ; (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp")
> > And suddenly the "bug" vanished.  What's going on - do you have any
> > idea?  I thought I would certainly need this
> > directory "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/contrib/lisp" in my load-path.
>
> Fix the installation first and then worry about things in contrib/.
>
> Regards,
> Achim.
Hi Achim,
  I managed to fix my installation (at least so far) with the addition of

(require 'org-install)

Thanks for your comments as they led me to try this solution.  One question:
when you wrote "outdated autoload definitions" did you mean that I should be
using some other form to specify the load path (I was loading from
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-7.8.09/") rather than from (add-to-list
'load-path "~/.emacs.d/org-6.36/lisp")?

  Regarding the installation instructions: At first I started here
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) but since I am
running on windows 7, I have no access to "Make".  I want to avoid installing
cywin as it typically fails to track windows 7 x64.  As far as I can tell, make
is unnecessary as well since you can hand compile all the files (as I described
in my bug report). It's my mistake that I failed to notice the requirement to
add (require 'org-install).

  Here's a suggestion that might help others who encounter similar problems:
Augment the installation description
(http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation) with a short
description for windows users (that avoids the use of make).