Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participat

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participation!
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:48:03 +0200

Neil Smithline <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Neil,

> This is way cool! Recently I have been deeply irritated by the lack of
> a functional server for Emacs Org Mode.
>
> I've run into this problem dealing with the weak presentation of Org
> Mode files on Github. Github uses the Ruby gem org-ruby
> (https://github.com/bdewey/org-ruby) to convert .org files to HTML.
> I've added a feature or two to org-ruby but really feel that trying to
> completely re-implement Org Mode in a Ruby gem is a losing battle.
>
> If I understand the project correctly, a working iOrg could be used to
> support Github's rendering of .org files. Github could just drop the
> use of org-ruby and use iOrg as an external converter for formatting
> .org files.
>
> At the risk of being flamed to a cinder, I'll say that I think that
> using iOrg to support .org files on Github would be a better pilot
> project than Bugpile.

I figured out too that the best way to watch org files on github is raw
mode, so I think this is a very interesting and useful proposal. But its
a bit late for this year ;)

I like the bugpile project, and as I understood it, the bugtracker might
actually be used for Org-mode development if it fits the needs of the
Org-mode hackers.

Since this years application was such an success with 3 projects
accepted, Org-mode might well try it again in 2013.
What do you think about putting your proposal on the ideas page for GSoC
2013 (which I could rapidly push to Worg) with you as potential
mentor/co-mentor?

Then it would not get lost, and interested students could apply next
year (if you can cope with githubs rendering of org files so long). And
there would be much more time to outline and coordinate the project.

> Besides my personal interest in better Github support for .org, I
> think that the Github project will be generally useful.
>
> Also, from the tone of postings, it sounds like the Bugpile project is
> not well specified. Being that Thorsten only has a summer to do the
> work, I think it will be hard to create a Bugpile specification and
> implementation and an iOrg specification and implementation in just
> one summer.
>
> As Github already has a specification for external markup converters
> (see https://github.com/github/markup), there is no need for writing
> any spec. For the first release of iOrg (ie: this summer's work), the
> iOrg implementation can be simplified to providing .org support for
> Github.
>
> If things go well, I imagine that Thorsten would be very happy to
> finish the summer with his iOrg a part of Github.

Definitely a very interesting idea, but I'm already quite 'invested in
the bugpile project, and imagine I finish the summer as the author of a
bugtracker actually used by a quite big and dynamic GNU project like Org-mode.

--
cheers,
Thorsten