Re: [O] mail integration, advice?

From: Carson Chittom
Subject: Re: [O] mail integration, advice?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:33:44 -0500

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to take one more shot at returning to text-based email within
> emacs, mostly because I want to be able to integrate mail easily into
> my org-mode workflow.  The last time I tried this I used wanderlust,
> and I'd be willing to give it a try again but a couple of things have
> discouraged me in the past:

I'm in a somewhat similar situation (although in my case it's actually
the reverse: I want to be able to integrate org-mode into my mail
workflow).

> - wl causes emacs to freeze up when it checks or sends mail, and can
> take quite a long while to complete these operations

I'm using Gnus, not Wanderlust, but it has the same problem, of course
(my understanding is that it's actually Emacs which has the problem).
In addition, I check my mail by logging in (via SSH) to my personal
machine at home, which has a low-bandwidth DSL connection, so any
slowness is magnified.  I've dealt with it by simply running a local
IMAP server--Dovecot, in my case, though I hear lots of people have good
results using just offlineimap--and using fetchmail to pull from my
ISP's mailserver.  My project for the weekend is to set up Dovecot's
Sieve support (Pigeonhole) to mirror my previous filtering rules.

> - wl seems to have gone quasi-dormant, with very little activity on
> the mailing list and no recent releases; it also relies on two other
> packages, FLIM and APEL, with similarly dormant mailing lists

Gnus is currently under heavy development and only requires a recent
(22, 23, 24) Emacs.  Not trying to "convert" you, but you did bring it
up. :)

> - fast search and easy-to-manage virtual folders of some kind -- I see
> mu and notmuch are very strong on both these fronts

I'm looking to set up mairix, which Gnus supports, but I haven't
yet.  Mairix itself though just needs mail in Maildir or mbox formats,
from what I understand.

I hope that was helpful--probably not, though.  :)