Re: [O] var `date' lacks a prefix warnings

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] var `date' lacks a prefix warnings
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:45:51 +0200

Hi Martyn,

Martyn Jago <address@hidden> writes:

> Regarding the remaining Org-mode `lacks a prefix' warnings and
> particularly in light of the recent message on emacs.devel [1] would it
> not be sufficient to simply alias date and entry locally:
>
> (defvaralias 'org--date 'date)
> (defvaralias 'org--entry 'entry)
>
> Presumably this would be backwardly-compatible, and given a subsequent
> name change in diary-lib.el a very simple integration test could catch
> that very quickly.

We first need to fix Calendar so that it doesn't use ̀€date' and `entry'
as the name for dynamically variables that are passed around.

Then preparing a patch for Org would be great.

I'll ping Glenn on the emacs-devel mailing list about this.

> p.s. I should point out that my personal view is that a serious well
> maintained Emacs library such as Org-mode should have a zero warning
> policy for official releases.

We are close to zero.  If you have time to work on some warning,
could you have a look into the one for `buffer-substring-filters'?
Also the one for "name" should be fixed.  With these two, and when
the problems from calendar are fixed, we will be closer to zero.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien