Re: [O] local.mk and SUDO

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] local.mk and SUDO
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:57:04 +0200

Martyn Jago writes:
> So the obvious answer is to not to use make install (as per the
> documentation). This is a heads-up to me since I believed install did
> more than simply moving .el and .elc files from A to B.

You can use "make install", but you must never install into the source
directory.  I'll check if changing the install mode to 644 is OK.

> However this is new behavior and worth mentioning. 'make install' (no
> sudo) used to silently `install' (or not as the case may be) and not
> change modes as above. Personally I wouldn't call it a regression though
> since make install is pointless IIUC in this situation.

If install were to use "cp", then you might even lose data when you try
to install into the same directory.  Don't do this, prefix must not
point to the git directory!

> Since I can no longer use `make up2' it seems that `make up1' is the
> correct command for my situation. This works fine except that
> org-version points to the wrong org-install:
>
>  Org-mode version 7.8.09
> (release_7.8.09-441-g6732d6.dirty @
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org/org-install.el.gz)
>
> So for my case I've added the target upgrade to local.mk:
>
> upgrade: up1 autoloads

Correct.

Regards,
Achim.