Re: [O] Error in org2blog/wp-login: "Must provide a callback function to

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: [O] Error in org2blog/wp-login: "Must provide a callback function to url-retrieve"
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 10:45:49 +0200

> When I try to log in, using `M-x org2blog/wp-login RET', I get the
> following error message in the minibuffer:
>  Must provide a callback function to url-retrieve

Are anyone else successfully using org2blog with emacs 23?

I don't think this have worked for any emacs 23.x releases.  In both
emacs 23.1 (Ubuntu 10.4) and 23.4 (debian testing) url-retrieve is
defined like this:
 (defun url-retrieve (url callback &optional cbargs)

Ie. with a callback function as the second argument.  In both 1.6.7 (the
ELPA version) and the 1.6.8 (the last release, dating from 2010-03-05)
versions of xml-rpc.el what happens is this:
  (cond ((boundp 'url-be-asynchronous) ; Sniff for w3 lib capability
         (if async-callback-function
             (setq url-be-asynchronous t
                   url-current-callback-data (list
                                              async-callback-function
                                              (current-buffer))
                   url-current-callback-func
                   'xml-rpc-request-callback-handler)
           (setq url-be-asynchronous nil))
         (url-retrieve server-url t)

Ie. if url-be-asynchronous is defined, url-retrieve is called with t as
the second argument, and this will fail because url-retrieve-internal
tests the argument like so:
  (if (not (functionp callback))
      (error "Must provide a callback function to url-retrieve"))

Thoughts?  Possible cures?