Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participat

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Google Summer of Code -- 3 Org projects for our first participation!
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 07:39:40 +0200

Hi Neil,

Neil Smithline <address@hidden> writes:

> I've looked at org-element.el and don't really see how it will make
> writing other Org Mode to HTML converter easier. org-element.el is,
> well it's elisp. Very elispy. No surprise but I'm not sure that it
> can easily be converted to another language.
>
> Is Nicolas working from a grammar? I think an Org Mode grammar will
> make writing parsers much easier. Perhaps I'm just old-school but I
> think that generating an Org Mode to HTML converter in another
> language would be dramatically simplified by an Org Mode grammar
> semantic annotations.

You're not old-school at all :)

Maybe I wasn't explicit enough.

1. There is already a new Org>HTML exporter, written by Jambunathan.
   Try adding contrib/lisp/ to your load path, then

   (require 'org-export)
   (require 'org-e-html)

   then M-x org-export-dispatch RET h

   See the result.

2. This new Org>HTML exporter is based on contrib/lisp/org-export.el and
   contrib/lisp/org-element.el.  The latter is responsible for parsing
   elements of an org-mode buffer based on a clear syntax, the former
   implements a generic export engine.

So yes, things are going into the direction of having a better grammar
for Org, Nicolas and Jambunathan already build parsers for LaTeX and
HTML using this grammar, and we will implement new parsers that way.

Thanks,

--
 Bastien