Re: [O] Touching :noexport: regions

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] Touching :noexport: regions
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 21:44:23 -0400

François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

> Our dear Bastien writes:

>> We could have a #+PUBLISH: option allowing to tell whether a file
>> should be published or not.  If we had this, we could then check
>> whether a section without the :noexport: tag has been modified...
>> and dynamically set the buffer publication option based on this.  But
>> this is rather a complicated way, and the gain is merely about speed.

> If I modify text in a :noexport: section, the time stamp of the Org file
> is modified, and so, the generated HTML page jumps near the top in the
> index.  As there is no user-visible change corresponding at that time
> stamp, they may uselessly visit the page, a mere annoyance to them.

Here is how I decided to proceed for now, in case anyone is amused by my
little problems.  I just created a file *org-stamps* having three
columns for each publishable Org file: a time stamp, a md5sum over all
publishable parts, and the Org file name.

The very first time, or for any new Org file, the time stamp is the file
modification time.  For each Org file, the tool generating the index
pages recomputes the md5sum over all publishable parts and compares with
the md5sum from *org-stamps*; if they match, the *org-stamps* time stamp
is used instead of the actual file time stamp.  If they do not match,
the current file time stamp and md5sum are going to obliterate the
values saved in *org-stamps* once all Org files will have been
processed.

Simple enough for now, I guess.

François