Re: [O] More problems with orgstruct++-mode, message-mode and auto fill

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] More problems with orgstruct++-mode, message-mode and auto fill
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:28:07 +0200

Hi,

Bastien wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> I have emacs-goodies.el installed. What is it about this package that
>> causes problems?
>
> This package contains filladapt.el and filladapt.el _overwrites_ some
> fundamental variables about filling. Even if you are not using filladapt.el,
> it fill replace those variables... which is obvisouly plain wrong.

FWIW, I do use filladapt.el (version 2.12, directly downloaded from the Web,
long time ago), and never experienced troubles yet (in Gnus, with
orgstruct++-mode).

Bastien, you say we should get rid of it, but it seems the reason I have it on
my system is (or was) because "it does a better job than Emacs builtin
Adaptative Fill mode". Anybody: any comment on this?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; enable FillAdapt (does a better job than Emacs builtin Adaptative
      ;; Fill mode)
      (autoload 'turn-on-filladapt-mode "filladapt"
        "Unconditionally turn on Filladapt mode in the current buffer.")
      (autoload 'turn-off-filladapt-mode "filladapt"
        "Unconditionally turn off Filladapt mode in the current buffer.")

      (defun my/enable-filling ()
        "Enable AutoFill and FillAdapt minor modes."

        ;; when inserting text, *automatically* break line at a previous
        ;; space, if the current column number is greater than the value of
        ;; `fill-column'
        (turn-on-auto-fill)

        ;; turn on FillAdapt mode everywhere but in ChangeLog files
        (cond ((equal mode-name "Change Log") t)
              (t (turn-on-filladapt-mode))))

      ;; enable AutoFill and FillAdapt in Text and Org modes
      (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'my/enable-filling)
      (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'my/enable-filling)
#+end_src

In Gnus, this is my config:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; operates on messages you send
      (defun my/message-mode-hook ()

        ;; tab completion for alias in `.mailrc'
        (local-set-key (kbd "<M-tab>") 'mail-abbrev-complete-alias)

        ;; enable automatic word-wrap when composing messages
        (setq fill-column 78)
        (turn-on-auto-fill)

        (when (locate-library "org.el")

          ;; turn on the `org-mode' table editor
          (turn-on-orgtbl)

          ;; turn on (the enhanced version of) orgstruct-mode
          (turn-on-orgstruct++)

          ;; make `orgstruct-hijacker-command-22' rebind `M-q' to a message
          ;; specific function to fill a paragraph
          (setq fill-paragraph-function 'message-fill-paragraph))

        (when (locate-library "auto-complete.el")
          (auto-complete-mode)))

      (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my/message-mode-hook)
#+end_src

Notice that I had to add:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
          ;; make `orgstruct-hijacker-command-22' rebind `M-q' to a message
          ;; specific function to fill a paragraph
          (setq fill-paragraph-function 'message-fill-paragraph)
#+end_src

a couple of weeks ago, because the filling did not behave anymore like it did.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban