Re: [O] org-install not defining org-mode-map?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] org-install not defining org-mode-map?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:41:31 +0800

On Tue, May 15 2012, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> (require 'org-install)
>> (eval-after-load 'org
>> ; don't let org steal this key
>>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-'") nil))
>>
>> There are more such forms later on, they all throw the same error.
>
> I'm out of my depth here, but I'd think that this sort of thing really
> belongs into a mode hook.
>
>> I thought org-install was meant to handle this sort of thing?
>
> No.  It sets up all autoload forms so that the public interfaces of org
> become visible without actually loading all of org.
>
>> Or at least the eval-after-load? Still, org-mode-map is undefined
>> until I've opened my first org file and org is properly loaded.
>
> How long have you been using Emacs24, specifically has it ever worked
> there?  The scoping rules for global dynamic variables have changed for
> Emacs24 and the exact details seem not to be fully documented yet.  Does
> it start working again if you add a
>
> (defvar org-mode-map)
>
> after the require form?

I've been using emacs 24 for several months, and it's only in the past
few weeks that this has stopped working. Christopher's solution seems to
be the right one -- probably I should have been quoting that form the
whole time, but I'm quite certain it's worked, unquoted, for a while
now.

I'm assuming it does have something to with changes in how emacs 24
handles variables… Using your defvar suggestion didn't do it, though.

Thanks to you both,

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.5 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-05-12 on pellet