Re: [O] org-goto-local-search-headings usage?

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: [O] org-goto-local-search-headings usage?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 22:09:42 +0100

>> On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:48:55 -0400, Nick Dokos said:

  > Myles English <address@hidden> wrote:
  >>
  >> Hi,
  >>
  >> Can anyone see what I am doing wrong here?  I just want to open a file
  >> ~/tmp/gtd.org and goto the heading "* My workflow".  So, starting like
  >> this:
  >>
  >> emacs -Q -l ~/tmp/gtd
  >>
  >> with ~/tmp/gtd:
  >>
  >> (add-to-list 'load-path
  >> "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
  >> (require 'org-install) ;; to use the emacs-org-mode rather than the one
  >> ;; installed with emacs
  >>
  >> (defun gtd()
  >> (interactive)
  >> (find-file "~/tmp/gtd.org")
  >> (goto-char (point-min))
  >> (setq wf "My workflow")
  >> (org-goto-local-search-headings wf nil nil)
  >> )
  >>
  >> and ~/tmp/gtd.org:
  >>
  >> * My workflow
  >>
  >> then I do:
  >>
  >> M-x gtd
  >>
  >> and get the message:
  >>
  >> byte-code: Search failed: "My workflow"
  >>

  > Works for me: the cursor is placed at the end of the headline.
  > I tried both with just the one headline and also with half a
  > dozen.

Thanks for taking a look Nick.  My real usage also uses a much bigger
file and sometimes it works when the .emacs file is open or if I have
been working in the gtd.org file but I haven't been able to track down
when it works or doesn't.  Hence this MWE.

  > Maybe M-x toggle-debug-on-error and try again to get a backtrace?
  > Or add

  >    (setq debug-on-error t)

  > to your initialization file.

Adding (setq debug-on-error t) to the top of the file gtd then
proceeding as before gives me the *Backtrace*:

  org-goto-local-search-headings("My workflow" nil nil)
  gtd()
  call-interactively(gtd t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)

which doesn't even really look like an error, does it?

--
  `--[ Myles ]