Re: [O] org-goto-local-search-headings usage?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-goto-local-search-headings usage?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:44:29 -0400

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> >   > Myles English <address@hidden> wrote:
> >   >>
> >   >> Hi,
> >   >>
> >   >> Can anyone see what I am doing wrong here?  I just want to open a file
> >   >> ~/tmp/gtd.org and goto the heading "* My workflow".  So, starting like
> >   >> this:
> >   >>
> >   >> emacs -Q -l ~/tmp/gtd
> >   >>
> >   >> with ~/tmp/gtd:
> >   >>
> >   >> (add-to-list 'load-path
> >   >> "~/.emacs.d/plugins/org-mode/lisp")
> >   >> (require 'org-install) ;; to use the emacs-org-mode rather than the one
> >   >> ;; installed with emacs
> >   >>
> >   >> (defun gtd()
> >   >> (interactive)
> >   >> (find-file "~/tmp/gtd.org")
> >   >> (goto-char (point-min))
> >   >> (setq wf "My workflow")
> >   >> (org-goto-local-search-headings wf nil nil)
> >   >> )
> >   >>
> >   >> and ~/tmp/gtd.org:
> >   >>
> >   >> * My workflow
> >   >>
> >   >> then I do:
> >   >>
> >   >> M-x gtd
> >   >>
> >   >> and get the message:
> >   >>
> >   >> byte-code: Search failed: "My workflow"
> >   >>

> >   > Works for me: the cursor is placed at the end of the headline.
> >   > I tried both with just the one headline and also with half a
> >   > dozen.
> >
> > Thanks for taking a look Nick.  My real usage also uses a much bigger
> > file and sometimes it works when the .emacs file is open or if I have
> > been working in the gtd.org file but I haven't been able to track down
> > when it works or doesn't.  Hence this MWE.
> >
> >   > Maybe M-x toggle-debug-on-error and try again to get a backtrace?
> >   > Or add
> >
> >   >    (setq debug-on-error t)
> >
> >   > to your initialization file.
> >
> > Adding (setq debug-on-error t) to the top of the file gtd then
> > proceeding as before gives me the *Backtrace*:
> >
> >   org-goto-local-search-headings("My workflow" nil nil)
> >   gtd()
> >   call-interactively(gtd t nil)
> >   execute-extended-command(nil)
> >   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
> >
> > which doesn't even really look like an error, does it?
> >

> No, but there are missing stack frames: it fails on the search-backward
> that org-goto-local-search-headings does. In the best "let's cure the
> symptom, not the disease" manner, try changing the point-min to
> point-max in the definition of gtd.

I meant to comment on the use of isearch-forward inside
org-goto-local-search-headings.  I'm not sure how it changes value (but
it does), and I really don't understand why org-glsh uses it at all. The
point is however that depending on the value of isearch-forward and
where you start in the buffer (min or max), you will get the error if
the variable is the "wrong" direction for your starting point.

IOW, you probably don't want to use the org-glsh function: define your
own that always goes in one direction (forward) and start at min.

Usual disclaimers apply,
Nick