Re: [O] is there a way to have =var_name= in table

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] is there a way to have =var_name= in table
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:24:46 -0400

> On 31.3.2012, at 21:24, Stephen J. Barr wrote:

>> I want to make a document that has a table where one column has
>> variables and another column has descriptions.

>> | VAR NAMES | DESC                   |
>> |-----------+------------------------|
>> | =var1=    | this is the first var  |
>> | =var2=    | this is the second var |
>> |           |                        |
>> |-----------+------------------------|

>> However, pressing [TAB] after writing =var1= causes #ERROR to show up.
>> How do I make this work the way I am intending? :)

> | VAR NAMES | DESC                   |
> |-----------+------------------------|
> | ~var1~    | this is the first var  |
> | ~var2~    | this is the second var |
> |           |                        |
> |-----------+------------------------|

Interesting, thanks.  The manual says:

   Emphasis and monospace

   You can make words *bold*, /italic/, _underlined_, `=code=' and
   `~verbatim~', and, if you must, `+strike-through+'.  Text in the code
   and verbatim string is not processed for Org mode specific syntax; it
   is exported verbatim.

Is there any functional (or semantic?) difference between =code= and
~verbatim~?  Could I use any to avoid escaping problems of the other?
(A bit like ' versus " in some languages?)

François