Re: [O] "Smart" quotes

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] "Smart" quotes
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 00:17:03 +0200

Hello,

"Mark E. Shoulson" <address@hidden> writes:

> "Smart" quotes can be annoying when they aren't smart enough. But when
> they work you can miss them. I'm attaching a patch that defines a
> custom variable org-smart-quotes (nil by default), which when non-nil
> causes the " and ' characters to display as “smart” quotes, hopefully
> the right ones. They're still ' and " in the underlying text, just
> overlaid with “”.

This is not related to entities, so code shouldn't be in org-entities.el.

Also, quotes are dependent on locale[fn:1]. English/US only quotes look
like a niche to me. Would it be possible to modify the patch and have
this feature handle LANGUAGE keyword, or at least have a support for it?

Regards,

[fn:1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-English_usage_of_quotation_marks

--
Nicolas Goaziou