Re: [O] Exporting via babel to LaTeX

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting via babel to LaTeX
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 18:10:06 -0500

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>> nrow(data)
>> #+end_src
>> #+begin_src R :session basic :results output :exports both
>> nrow(nonzero.data)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I split them up because I wanted the results like so:
>>
>> Code-A
>> Results-A
>> Code-B
>> Results-B
>>
>> If I kept them together, it came out Code-A, Code-B, then Results-A,
>> Results-B.
>>
>> Anyway, the LaTeX output is creating the following:
>>
>> \begin{verbatim}
>> nrow(data)
>> \end{verbatim}
>>
>> \begin{verbatim}
>>  [1] 681
>> \end{verbatim}
>>
>> \begin{verbatim}
>> nrow(nonzero.data)
>> \end{verbatim}
>>
>> \begin{verbatim}
>>  [1] 455
>> \end{verbatim}
>>
>> This gives really, really spaced out results. I'd prefer output that
>> looks more like an R terminal output, which can be done by not putting
>> code and results in separate verbatim blocks. Is this standard
>> spacing/behavior or is there an option/exporter tweak I can use on
>> this? It just ends up taking so much space.
>>
>> I'm super new to this and barely know anything about the header
>> arguments at all. I will say I was thrilled to find out about the
>> :session option. I was worried about "walking through code" because I
>> rely on initial block results to carry through to the others. What do
>> you know? There's a way to do that :) Thanks for this wonderful
>> implementation. I've seen it come up on the list hundreds of time and
>> have to say it's really cool actually getting to work with it!
>>

>> Best regards,
>> John
>>

> Hi John,
>
> One way to do this would be to redefine the verbatim environment in
> LaTeX.  There is a fancyvrb package for LaTeX that might help with this.
>
> I think a better answer to your query has two parts.
>
> 1) Make Org-mode distinguish your code and results, instead of having
> them both be verbatim environments.  One way to do this would be to use
> listings or minted to typeset the source code blocks: see
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-12.
>
> Then use :wrap foo to wrap the results in a foo environment.
>
> 2) Configure LaTeX to typeset the new environments in a way that pleases
> you. LaTeX specifies for each environment the space to leave before it
> and after it.  You should be able to set these so the results please
> you.  Here is one example for how to modify the results block:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-10-2.
> Note that this was written for an earlier version of Org-mode, before
> results blocks were stored in drawers.  Instead of "results" use "foo".

To follow up on this because it seemed a bit simper..., I added the
example to my file:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{framed}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{xcolor}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \definecolor{shadecolor}{gray}{.95}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \newenvironment{results}{\begin{shaded}}{\end{shaded}}

But it doesn't change anything. Since it says this will affect a
"results block," I [intuitively] tried:

#+begin_results
test
#+end_results

But don't see anything different. Did I mis-interpret how this works?
Or do I need the above /with/ either minted or listing and it's not
standalone?

Thanks,
John