Re: [O] Exporting via babel to LaTeX

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Exporting via babel to LaTeX
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 13:35:56 -1000

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
>> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I've only ever used src blocks to make plots or create files to
>>> include. I have my first opportunity to actually try and include both
>>> code and results and have a question about spacing. You won't have my
>>> data, but this is pretty simple stuff.:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src R :session basic :results output :exports both
>>> nrow(data)
>>> #+end_src
>>> #+begin_src R :session basic :results output :exports both
>>> nrow(nonzero.data)
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> I split them up because I wanted the results like so:
>>>
>>> Code-A
>>> Results-A
>>> Code-B
>>> Results-B
>>>
>>> If I kept them together, it came out Code-A, Code-B, then Results-A,
>>> Results-B.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the LaTeX output is creating the following:
>>>
>>> \begin{verbatim}
>>> nrow(data)
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>>
>>> \begin{verbatim}
>>>  [1] 681
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>>
>>> \begin{verbatim}
>>> nrow(nonzero.data)
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>>
>>> \begin{verbatim}
>>>  [1] 455
>>> \end{verbatim}
>>>
>>> This gives really, really spaced out results. I'd prefer output that
>>> looks more like an R terminal output, which can be done by not putting
>>> code and results in separate verbatim blocks. Is this standard
>>> spacing/behavior or is there an option/exporter tweak I can use on
>>> this? It just ends up taking so much space.
>>>
>>> I'm super new to this and barely know anything about the header
>>> arguments at all. I will say I was thrilled to find out about the
>>> :session option. I was worried about "walking through code" because I
>>> rely on initial block results to carry through to the others. What do
>>> you know? There's a way to do that :) Thanks for this wonderful
>>> implementation. I've seen it come up on the list hundreds of time and
>>> have to say it's really cool actually getting to work with it!
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> John
>>>

>> Hi John,
>>
>> One way to do this would be to redefine the verbatim environment in
>> LaTeX.  There is a fancyvrb package for LaTeX that might help with this.
>>
>> I think a better answer to your query has two parts.
>
> Thanks for the input!
>

>> 1) Make Org-mode distinguish your code and results, instead of having
>> them both be verbatim environments.  One way to do this would be to use
>> listings or minted to typeset the source code blocks: see
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-latex-export.html#sec-12.
>>
>> Then use :wrap foo to wrap the results in a foo environment.
>>

> So... foo could be verbatim or something like that shaded example in
> the worg tutorial above? I'm thinking the code and results would still
> be in different environments when the PDF is generated, right? You're
> just suggesting that I put them in an environment that doesn't insert
> so much white space?

You'll probably have to create a LaTeX environment that doesn't insert so
much white space.  Best to do this with a new environment, rather than
redefining one of the existing LaTeX environments, IMHO.

The white space problem is something to correct at the LaTeX step, after
Org-mode has wrapped the blocks in semantically meaningful environments.

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813