Re: [O] [GSoC] org-merge-driver weekly update

From: Andrew Young
Subject: Re: [O] [GSoC] org-merge-driver weekly update
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 03:31:28 -0400

Hi Carsten,

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Carsten Dominik
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 30.5.2012, at 16:36, Andrew Young wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I would just like to let everyone know that a prototype for
> > org-merge-driver is available.  It is not complete, so of course please do
> > not use it for your repository! ;)
> >
> > You can see some example use of it at the the worg project page:
> > http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/git-merge-tool/prototype.html
>

> A nice start!
>
> In your first example, it seems incorrect to me that "* A new heading in file
> 2"
> ends up being the first top-level headline in the merged file.  It is added as
> second in file two, so I clearly would expect it to appear as second in the
> merged file.
>
> Greetings
>
> - Carsten
>
> P.S.  Bastien, should comments and discussions like this one be on the list,
> or off list?
>
> - Carsten

I agree that the prototype is not correct in this respect.  I
originally planned to separate orgmode elements into two types:
ordered and unordered.  Unordered elements would be things like
plain lists and headings.  Ordered entities would be things like
numbered plain lists.

This decision led to the prototype not tracking the order which
headings appear.  Only hierachical position was tracked and used
in the prototype.  As a result, new headings are always shown at
the start of a level, and reordered headings may or may show up
in the new order.  I have since changed my mind about how to
handle this situation.

The new strategy is to track the same positional data for both
ordered and unordered elements.  The difference between the
element types will be in how reorders from both files will be
merged together.

I can modify the prototype to print headings in the correct
order, but I'm mostly just interested in moving on.

Sincerely,
Andrew