Re: [O] encoding problem

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] encoding problem
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:31:52 -0400

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Hi Julien,
> >>
> >> I get prompts for encoding when saving/exporting (on Windows only) so I
> >> put the following at the top of my org-files
> >>
> >> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> >>
> >> which seems to fix the problem for me.  Maybe this will help?
> >
> > I used to have this problem and it was incredibly annoying.  I also
> > started adding the line Bernt suggests but I kept forgetting for new
> > files.  I finally solved this problem by adding the following lines to
> > my emacs initialisation:
> >
> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> > (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> > (set-charset-priority 'unicode)
> > (setq default-process-coding-system '(utf-8-unix . utf-8-unix))
> > #+end_src
> >
> > I couldn't tell you which of these matter or whether they are all
> > necessary but I don't have these problems any longer so I haven't
> > investigated any further!
>
> Thanks Eric!
>
> I'll try this and drop my mode line setting in each org file.  I still
> encounter this when archiving for the first time to a new file -- since
> I'm archive utf-8 content and the new target org file prompts for
> encoding with my current setup.
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

Isn't the setting of LANG used during initialization to set these things?
I have LANG set to en_US.UTF-8  and new buffers are in utf-8-unix
(except for mail composition buffers: they are in undecided-unix).
I'm pretty sure I'm not mucking with coding systems anywhere in my emacs
initialization otherwise.

Nick