Re: [O] Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode

From: Gregory Benjamin
Subject: Re: [O] Org, Org-mode, Orgmode, Org Mode
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 07:06:49 -0700

Hello all,

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 12:11:48PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Achim and Thorsten,
>
> Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > So my question still stands, which variant is the preferred one if any
> > and should we work to standardize it across all documentation?
>
> The documentation standards states:
>
>  - Prefer "Org mode" to "Org-mode" or "org-mode".  This is simply
>    because it reflects an existing convention in The Emacs Manual which
>    consistently documents mode names in this form -- "Text mode",
>    "Outline mode", "Mail mode" etc.
>
> I think it should also apply for the website.
>
> I updated the website to use "Org mode" instead of "Org-mode" and
> "Org-Mode".

I believe Org-mode is vastly superior to the alternatives because the
hyphen links the two little words into a fairly unique pattern that
results in pertinent results from search engines.

I believe every effort should be made to adopt Org-mode universally;
to use Org mode instead will make Org-mode material much harder to
find on the internet.

Furthermore, to invoke Org-mode from inside Emacs, one types "M-x
org-mode", not "M-x org mode".

--
Greg Benjamin