[O] Review of code adding grouping feature to Gantt chart creation

From: julia . jacobson
Subject: [O] Review of code adding grouping feature to Gantt chart creation
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 17:19:42 +0200 (CEST)

Dear Orgmode Community,

Some time ago, Eric Fraga wrote a lisp function and some LaTeX code to generate
Gantt charts from within orgmode and posted it to this mailing list.
This code proved to be very helpful to me and therefore I added a feature for
indicating the progress of a task, which has also been posted to this list.
Some project management tools like Microsoft Project or Taskjuggler allow to
visually summarize neighboring tasks in a group by aligning them under a
limiting bar. I tried to implement this feature in Eric Fraga's code, too, and
hope that some of you might find it helpful.
Moreover, the attachment of this post contains an improvement of the progress
bar feature, which I added previously.
Please don't hesitate to write me if you discover a bug in my code or have any
ideas for improvement.
Maybe someone is even willing to add it to org-mode's the library of babel.
Finally, I would like to put up for discussion, whether it makes to add new
features for generating Gantt charts like this.
After all, there is already the possibility to create very elaborate Gantt
charts from an orgmode file by exporting to taskjuggler.
Furthermore, there's a LaTeX package called pgfgantt, which simplifies the
creation of Gantt charts.
The advantage of the lisp and LaTeX code is that it doesn't create any
additional dependencies (well, maybe except for TikZ which ships with current
TeX distributions).
The best architectural solution might be to write a Orgmode interface for the
pgfgantt LaTeX package.

Kind regards,
Julia