Re: [O] plain text best practice?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] plain text best practice?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:39:51 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 06 2012, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> howdy guys,
>>
>> I want to use org-mode for writing documents that don't necessarily
>> have very many headings or sub-headings.
>>
>> I could do:
>>
>> * Chapter One
>>  lots of text
>> * Chapter Two
>> lots more text
>
> Is there anything wrong with this approach? I've used Org for novel
> translations, and do it just like this. If there are no logical
> divisions within chapters you probably don't want additional markup, it
> will just get in the way.
>
> If navigation is the problem, getting accustomed to keybindings like C-c
> C-n, C-c C-p, and C-c C-u can be very helpful. Also look at the
> docstring for `org-cycle', and you might consider binding a few
> outline-mode commands (like `hide-other') to your own keys, to help keep
> navigation and visibility under control.

And don't forget that emacs has many other features beyond org which
work nicely with org.  In particular, if you want navigation without the
headings, you can use bookmarks ((emacs) Bookmarks).  I use these all
the time.  You don't need subheadings etc for these to work.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org release_7.8.11-69-ga2fd96