Re: [O] New Link Syntax: Adding ATTRIBUTES (Was: org-e-html: Including A

From: William Crandall
Subject: Re: [O] New Link Syntax: Adding ATTRIBUTES (Was: org-e-html: Including ATTR_HTML)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:53:27 -0700

Hello Nicolas,

Many thanks for expanded clarity, and a new direction.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 2:51 AM,
Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> I understand your problem, but inserting ATTR_HTML
> keywords in a paragraph isn't possible anymore. I cannot
> allow that as it would defeat a fundamental change in the
> new Org syntax.

This is good. While not familiar with the details, I clearly
see the value of maintaining the logical integrity of the new
architecture.

> ATTR_HTML could ... accept a list of properties that would
> be applied in order to each link in the paragraph.  But it
> wouldn't scale well...

Agreed; this is not the way to go.

> I'm open to any other suggestion. For example, link's
> syntax could be extended to allow attributes.

I like this idea, and think it is the way to go.

One approach would be to expand the current link syntax
from TWO to THREE pairs of square brackets.

Current syntax:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Link-format

New syntax:

[[link]]

[[link][description]]

[[link][description][ATTRIBUTES]]

Description and attributes would be optional.

ATTRIBUTES would consisting of name:value pairs, perhaps
giving names export-type prefixes, such as HTML_STYLE and
HTML_TITLE, or LATEX_PDFBORDER and LATEX_URLCOLOR.

HTML ATTRIBUTES would map to HTML 'attributes':

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/section-index.html#attributes-1

LATEX ATTRIBUTES would map to Latex \hypersetup 'options':

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Hyperlinks#.5Chyperref
(Subsection: Customization)

This would be a significant change, but it would make LINKS
"first class objects," and allow Org mode users to directly
apply rich families of link attributes/options.

The Manual should then indicate that ATTR_HTML is a
/paragraph/-level mechanism, and is no longer intended
for use with links:
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Links-in-HTML-export

There may, of course, be different/better solutions.

Thanks for continuing to move this forward!

-BC