[O] bug#11700: bug#11700: 24.1.50; Bad interaction between BiDi and org

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: [O] bug#11700: bug#11700: 24.1.50; Bad interaction between BiDi and org-tables
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:39:35 +0300

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:10:46 +0300
>> From: Dov Grobgeld <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> [stuff deleted]
>> I tried inserting tabs into the buffer before the vertical bars, but
>> after reordering it still didn't come out right.
>
> ??? What exactly did you try?  You need to have a TAB before and after
> each '|' that's between the cells (the outer ones do not need a TAB).
> Like this (you should see this correctly in Emacs 24.1; move cursor
> with C-f to see the logical order):
>
> ‎|      אבגד    |       הוזחטי     |
>
> Isn't this what you wanted?

Yes. Great! This is indeed what I wanted. My mistake was that I tried
it with a tab character before OR after the vertical bar. This
solution should be really simple to implement in org-mode as it means
as setting the tab width to 1.

But I just wonder, is there any other character (preferably white
space character) with the same end-of-segment-boundary properties as
tab, in case tab is used for something else in org-mode? Or is it
possible to take an arbitrary character, e.g. U+E0020, and bless it
with end-of-segment boundary properties and then use that in the
org-mode buffer?

As a side note, I really like the idea of end of segment separator,
and I wasn't aware of it when I wrote fribidi a long time ago. I
wonder if the semantics of the emacs segment separator follows the
Unicode Bidi Algorithm?