[O] bug#11710: 24.1.50; Bidi attributes are not exported in org-mode htm

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: [O] bug#11710: 24.1.50; Bidi attributes are not exported in org-mode html output
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:55:44 +0300

> Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:17:36 +0300
> From: Dov Grobgeld <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii
> > > [stuff deleted]
> >
> > Did you customize Emacs to dynamically determine the paragraph
> > direction in Org buffers?  By default they are forced to be
> > left-to-right.
>
> Yes, I changed that. Org-mode appears to me to work fine in dynamic
> Bidi mode, so I don't understand the reasoning that it was turned off
> by default.

2 reasons:

 . If you maintain Org files with mixed L2R and R2L contents, having
   some items on the left and some on the right looks messed up,
   especially if the parent item is on the other side of the window.

 . Performance.  Dynamic detection of paragraph direction can slow
   down redisplay, if you have long stretches of items without empty
   lines to separate them.  When sub-trees are hidden, this could
   cause an annoying effect whereby moving cursor past one visible
   line causes a perceptible delay (because there are many hundreds of
   hidden lines Emacs needs to move through in the buffer).  This
   punishes Org users who don't use bidirectional scripts, which are
   the majority of Org users.  So in traditions of democracy, the
   majority wins...

> >  (save-excursion
> >    (goto-char N)
> >    (current-bidi-paragraph-direction))
>
> Ok, thanks. Perhaps I'll have a go at it on my own.

Please consider reporting here if you get it to work, because Org
maintainers may wish to use your code.

TIA