Re: [O] Selective export of Babel code blocks

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Selective export of Babel code blocks
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:50:05 -0500

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM, suvayu ali
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Doing this got me to thinking how it would be
>> quite neat to run code in a block but mark it to be omitted from
>> export for these kind of "setup" lines that are necessary for the
>> desired graphs but unnecessary for your reader to see over and over
>> again.
>>
>> Thoughts? I'm quite a novice and very possibly missed something that
>> can already do this.
>
> Hopefully I understood your question correctly. My solution to "setup"
> code blocks is use the noweb syntax. Following is an example with Gnuplot.

I didn't get it at first as I'm not familiar with noweb, but after
reading a bit, I think I get it.

>  #+PROPERTY: noweb yes
>  #+PROPERTY: results silent
>  #+BIND: org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil
>
>  * Gnuplot source
>  #+name: preamble
>  #+begin_src gnuplot
>    reset
>    set terminal pdfcairo color size 21cm,14.8cm
>    set termoption enhanced
>    set encoding utf8
>    set termoption font "DejaVuSerif,8"
>    # ...
>  #+end_src
>
>  #+begin_src gnuplot :noweb yes :var limits=Bpluslimits
>    <<preamble>>
>    plot "$limits" using 1:2 title 'Theory'  set output
>  #+end_src
>
>  * Table
>  #+tblname: Bpluslimits
>  |   |  Theory |
>  |   |         |
>  |---+---------|
>  | 1 | 3.6E-14 |
>  | 2 | 3.6E-14 |
>  | 3 | 6.3E-13 |
>  | 4 | 6.3E-13 |
>  | 5 | 1.7E-14 |
>  | 6 | 1.7E-14 |
>  | 7 |         |
>  #+tblfm: $1=(@#-2)
>
>  * COMMENT local setup
>
>  # Local Variables:
>  # org-export-allow-BIND: t
>  # End:

Gotcha. So I can define a preamble/postamble and be all set. Still
struggling on how to make this work for each file, though. I'm
guessing I need something like:

#+name: preamble
#+begin_src R :exports none
tikzDevice("file-name")
#+end_src

And by the org-mode Babel documentation it looks like I can do something like:

<<preamble(file-name=file_1.tex)>>

Or something like this? I didn't see much coverage explaining the
whole <<example-block(a=9>> bit at the end of the noweb section:
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/intro.html#literate-programming

I think this will work; I just need the bit on variable substitution.

Thanks a ton!
John