Re: [O] Org Mode TOOD two way sync tool

From: Christopher J. White
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mode TOOD two way sync tool
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:03:05 -0400

Hi Karra,

I've been working on org-toodledo.el to perform bi-directional sync of TODO items with the Toodledo server, and faced many of the same issues you raise about figuring out the exact format and grammar of a TODO item.

You may find looking at my source useful, either as inspiration, integration, or just understanding what fields are what.

The general approach was to build an object that represents a parsed TODO item, and fill that in from either the org-buffer TODO items, or from items retrieved from the server. That object can then be compared to others (one from the server and one from the local buffer), converted to a new org TODO, sent to the server as a new TODO, etc. The components of the TODO item are obviously targeted to what makes sense for Toodledo, but I think they are fairly generic.

You might also look at org-element.el which I recently learned about which may also help. I have it on my TODO list to learn more about it to see if I can't refactor org-toodledo to leverage it. It is more geared toward generic org items as opposed to specifically TODO items.

...cj