Re: [O] text to plain list

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] text to plain list
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:06:52 -0600

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Marvin Doyley <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Is there quick method for converting a bunch of text to plain list ?
>>

> Something like
>
> sed 's/^/- /' in.txt > out.txt
>
> perhaps? If that's not what you mean, what do you mean?

I find Emacs Macros work very well for this.

1) position the cursor at the front of the first line
2) C-x (       to start recording a macro
3) manually turn this item into a list
4) position the cursor at the front of the next line
5) C-x )       to finish recording a macro
6) X-e         to run the macro on the second item

after that you may continue pressing "e" to re-run the macro, or run the
macro any number of times with a numeric prefix argument.  This does
however require some regularity in your list items.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte