Re: [O] R and babel on Windows problem

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] R and babel on Windows problem
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:12:38 -0400

John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> Any updates on this? Could someone provide a minimal example I could
> try? Or verify that my steps above are correct. I'm not sure why it's
> not triggering the step by step function execution described.

I had sent out a note about C-u C-M-x and what you should see in the
echo area after that, but I don't think I've seen a reply: did you try
that and did it work as expected?

Either gmane is or I am being stupid right now and cannot find the message
(maybe it never made it, but gmane cannot seem to find the thread at all
right now), so I append a copy of that message.

Nick

John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Oh, sorry: edebug is described in
> >
> > (info "(elisp) Edebug")
> >
> > The basics: visit ob-R.el, go to the org-babel-R-evaluate-external-process
> > definition and press C-u C-M-x. Then do whatever you were doing to get the
> > problem. It should stop at the function and you can single-step by pressing
> > SPACE. At strategic points, you can evaluate things with "e".
>
> Eeks. Is the fact that I learned emacs only for org-mode showing. I
> don't even know how to =(info "(elisp) Edebug")= -- do I put an =M-x=
> in front of that? =M-x info= seems to bring me to a help page for
> info!

You have to evaluate it somehow. If you are reading your mail in emacs,
just place the cursor after the closing paren and press C-x C-e. If not,
just go to emacs and "C-h i elisp RET i edebug RET" or equivalently,
type ESC ESC : (info "(elisp) Edebug") RET. Underlying assumption: you
have the Emacs Lisp info files installed.

> Anyway... I just googled edebug and it says about the same as you did
> (except for appending "eval-defun with a prefix argument" onto =C-u
> C-M-x=.
> - http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Using-Edebug.html
>
> Anyway:
> - Visited ob-R.el in emacs
> - Found org-babel-R-evaluate-external-process
> - Put the cursor on the line =(defun org-babel-R-evaluate-external-process=
> - Did =M-x C-M-x= and the minibuffer echoed the name of the function

C-u C-M-x please: and the echo area should say "Edebug:
org-babel-R-evaluate-external-process" afterwards.

Nick