Re: [O] Manual does not list :results output graphics as babel header ar

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] Manual does not list :results output graphics as babel header arg
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 14:35:39 -1000

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> I have typically outputted graphics from R via tikzDevice manually,
> but gave my first whirl to just including things via the :file
> argument in my block header. In the process, I was trying to get this
> to work and found I needed to use:
>
> -----
> :results output graphics
> -----
>
> This is listed on Worg ob-R-doc:
> - http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-R.html#sec-4-3
>
> But I didn't originally know about it, as it's not a listed header
> argument in the manual, which is where I check since they're all
> listed in one place:
> - http://orgmode.org/manual/results.html#results
>
> Does the manual only list universal babel header arguments and R is in
> a subset of ones using =:results output graphics= or should it be
> there?

Hi John,

The babel header arguments are implemented at two levels.

There are general babel arguments that apply to all the supported
languages.  These are described in the manual.

It is also possible for the individual language implementations to
define their own header arguments.  R is a good example, where the very
many arguments to the various R output devices are built into ob-R.el.
These language specific header arguments are not described in the
manual, but instead appear in the language specific documentation on
Worg.

Re: your specific question about :results output graphics.  I believe
this is an R specific header argument and that it is described in the
appropriate place in the documentation on Worg (see lines 68 and 230
of ob-R.el).

The manual is not a one-stop source for answers to all Babel questions.
Recourse to the language specific documentation is typically necessary,
which is why it would be great if someone could find time to work up
documentation for the 20 or so languages that still lack it :)

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye