Re: [O] How to integrate org-mode in a MS Windows-/Office-based environm

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] How to integrate org-mode in a MS Windows-/Office-based environment?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:16:34 -0500

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 4:06 PM, M <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm using Emacs org-mode for task and information management in a business
> environment dominated by Microsoft products (Windows, Office, ...).
>
> I wonder how to create a set-up for maximum productivity and I'd like to
> know how you integrate org-mode in your work on MS Windows.
>
> Creating hyperlinks in my org-mode files/tasks, which let me jump directly
> to E-Mail in MS Outlook (Exchange-based), open Word-, Excel- or Powerpoint
> documents, etc. is a very helpful feature for integrating org-mode.
>
> Are there other techniques, tools or add-ons which are helpful for that
> purpose?

My personal technique is to let everyone /else/ use MS and to use
org-mode as exclusively as I can. My management is fully used to me
providing PDF Beamer presentations at project update meetings while
everyone else has submitted PowerPoints. I can submit reports as a
file upload to our central research document center, so I compose in
org-mode, and then tweak/final-export in LaTeX.

I made a project poster using beamerposter.sty once as well and it
turned out well, though I think it took more time than if I had just
used PowerPoint.

I only use MS where I have to -- editing a team member's ppt slide for
a larger presentation that multiple folks are contributing to. I have
issues every once in a while with someone wanting to re-use my
presentation material and obviously an org-file or the raw PDF wont'
do them much good. Sometimes I've tried to re-package in ppt or
sometimes I just say, "I'll send you my presentation, but the format I
have it in won't do you much good. I use a program that works awesome
for me, but no one really uses it."

In essence... I can share my data and information quite well without
having to use MS Office. I happen to work in an environment where
folks are usually interested in raw data (I can provide the same .csv
or .xls export from LibreOffice that I use myself) or read only
reference material. There's not a ton of collaborative document
editing going on.

Anyway, I was worried about this as well. I found that making it known
I prefer to use fringe software because it's awesome and makes me more
efficient has helped people just get used to that fact ;)

John