Re: [O] Emacs starter kit

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs starter kit
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:46:44 -0600

Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:

> There are multiple versions of Emacs Starter Kit. The two main
> versions that I currently see are one maintained by Eric Schulte
> (http://eschulte.me/emacs24-starter-kit/) and the other maintained by
> Phil Hagelberg (https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/).
>
> The important difference between the two is that Eric Schulte's
> version is a collection of org-mode files from where the .el files are
> generated. The startup options are maintained as org documents.
> Package.el, and ELPA, are a part of the starter kit in this case. The
> starter kit installs the packages.
>
> In Hagelberg's version, this is inverted. Starter kit is installed by
> the package manager that is now a part of Emacs (version 24). The
> package manager directly installs a bunch of .el files and there are
> no org files to see.
>
> Which is the recommended way to go? What is the experience of people
> on this list?
>
> (This mail perhaps belongs to the emacs mailing list, but since at
> least one of these versions is based on using org-mode to manage
> emacs, people on this mailing list will perhaps have some interest in
> the issue.).
>
> Vikas

Hi Vikas,

As the maintainer of my "literate" version of the starter kit, I can
share my opinions on the differences...

I think the most important differentiator is whether you want to keep
your configuration in .org or .el files.  I have all of my personal
config in a single 2255 line Org-mode file.  Thanks to Org-mode's
folding outline structure I've found this to be much easier to navigate
than either one single large or many small emacs-lisp files.

Aside from that, Phil's version of the starter kit certainly has more
users and is probably more actively maintained -- I actively fix
reported bugs in my version of the starter kit, but don't have any real
development planned.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte