Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Org mode export to Groff MM. Feature Freeze
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 12:20:38 +0200

Hello,

Luis Anaya <address@hidden> writes:

> It might be easier to implement a typesetter for MAN pages in muse mode
> because it has a simpler rendering framework.  It may also be a more
> appropriate platform considering that MAN pages do not have a lot of
> formatting requirements, when they are compared to a document
> with multiple levels, lists, equations and graphics which is what you
> find in papers, letters or memorandum.

An advantage of the new export engine is that a back-end can be as
simple as you want it to be.  Sure, e-latex, e-odt, ... try to be as
comprehensive as possible with regards to Org syntax, but it doesn't
mean that every back-end has to handle every syntactic element.

One can imagine specialized back-ends only rendering a limited set of
Org features. As long as the set is explicitly documented in the
back-end, there's nothing wrong with that.

Note that I do not comment the comparison with Muse mode rendering
framework, which I do not know.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou