Re: [O] Feature that org mode needs most

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: [O] Feature that org mode needs most
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:03:39 +0200

Am 17.07.2012 23:33, schrieb Mehul Sanghvi:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Joseph Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello.
>> I couldn't believe I hadn't been aware of org mode until a few months ago,
>> as someone who's been using emacs for everything for many years.
>>
>> I use it to journal how all my time is spent in a given work day- for both
>> work related tasks and non-work tasks (ex.  getting coffee, lunch,
>> conversations, etc.).  Org mode is the only GTD software package I've seen
>> that makes this possible without getting in the way.  It just needs one
>> small thing that keeps it from being perfect.
>>
>> Those who use it the same way I do (as a log of how all time was spent in a
>> given day), there's no easy way I can see to make quick adjustments to
>> clocked time between activities.  Every day I will forget to clock to a new
>> activity at some point.  By the time I remember, time has passed.  For
>> example, I come back from a meeting and begin to work on a project.  20
>> minutes into it, I clock in.  But I must then manually adjust both the
>> previous activity and the current one so that they are accurate and don't
>> overlap in the agenda view.  This can be cumbersome, which seems to go
>> against the overall idea of org mode.  All that is needed to correct it is
>> either a new fn and key binding, or a prefix arg to org-clock-in that allows
>> you to enter an adjustment (in this example, 20) to subtract from the
>> previous clock's out time and current clock's in time.
>>
>> Seems like it would be a minor thing to add that would make an enormous
>> difference for users like me.
>>
>> Thanks for reading my request!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joe
>

> Joe,
>
>      You can use the S-up and S-down key combinations to adjust the clocks for
> the current activity and the previous one.  Move over to the hour and
> do S-up or S-down,
> then do the same with the minutes.  The date gets adjusted
> automatically if you're
> straddling midnight.
>

> cheers,
>
>        mehul
>
> p.s. does that make org-mode perfect now ? :)

Hi,

as a help being in agenda view pressing "v c" will:

v c
    Show overlapping clock entries, clocking gaps, and other clocking
problems in the current agenda range. You can then visit clocking lines
and fix them manually. See the variable
org-agenda-clock-consistency-checks for information on how to customize
the definition of what constituted a clocking problem. To return to
normal agenda display, press l to exit Logbook mode.

Cheers,
Rainer